In today's globalised world, translating and interpreting has an ever-growing role. Our main research purpose is to find out more about how it works - from professional, language and cultural perspectives. We invite research proposals in fields such as linguistics and literature, culture, identity and professional studies, psychology and philosophy.
We offer expert supervision in the areas of:
- interpreting (Dr Y Chen, Dr M Jin, Dr V Pellatt, Dr F Wu)
- psycholinguistics of interpreting and translating (Dr M Jin)
- translating literature (Dr F Jones, Dr V Pellatt)
- translation and culture (Dr Y Chen, Dr F Jones, Dr V Pellatt)
- translation and ethics, ideology, and power (Prof R. Howard, Dr F Jones, Dr V Pellatt)
- translation products, processes and strategies (Dr Y Chen, Dr M Jin, Dr F Jones, Dr V Pellatt)
- translator and interpreter training and assessment (Dr Y Chen, Dr V Pellatt, Dr F Wu)
- reflective/autonomous learning and educational psychology (Dr Y Chen, Dr F Wu)
- audiovisual translation studies (Dr Y Chen)
We can offer support for projects involving English plus the following languages:
- Bosnian, Croatian and Serbian
Further information on staff specialisms can be found on the School of Modern Languages website.
As a PhD student you will have the opportunity to teach undergraduates as part of your training and to supplement your income.
You can attend regular research seminars and contribute to the annual Faculty postgraduate conference. The School also hosts regular research seminars in which leading international researchers present their research. We offer financial support for attendance at national and international conferences.
Our Humanities and Social Sciences Graduate School provides training in professional skills and research methods, supports personal development, and hosts postgraduate events.
Our facilities include:
- a postgraduate common room
- three dedicated interpreting suites
- professional translation software
- the Language Resource Centre, equipped with audio-visual and computing facilities linked to a digital speech bank